Spiced coconut & lime chicken is one of my go-to speedy curries! Easy, warming and very satisfying.
This is such a simple, but very delicious curry that is tangy and creamy, with the lime and the coconut shining brightly.
I sometimes make this using toasted and ground spices, but a good curry paste (whichever variety you like) makes this more convenient. I occasionally fry some chillis with the onions if I want more heat but this curry works well with just the warming spices of the curry paste.
I also often make this without chicken, using a selection of vegetables and chickpeas, or using raw king prawns – popping then into the simmering spiced loveliness for a few minutes until cooked. Either way, it never lasts long!
Recipe: spiced coconut & lime chicken – serves 2-3
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- juice of 2 limes
- 1-2 tablespoons good quality curry paste
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 2 large chicken breasts or 4-6 boneless chicken thighs, chopped
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- a little vegetable oil for frying
- fresh lime juice
- chopped coriander
(1) In a large saucepan, fry the onions in the oil until they start to turn brown.
(2) Add the curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the tomatoes, coconut milk and lime juice. Bring to the boil.
(3) Simmer until the liquid is reduced by about half and add the chicken.
(4) Heat over a low to medium heat until the chicken is cooked, stirring in some coriander part-way through.
(5) Serve with some lime spritzed over and a sprinkling of coriander.