Another batch of chocolate truffles, this time with orange and a few drops of Fiori di Sicilia, an intensely fragrant citrus extract, often used in panettone.
As with all cooking, a good quality chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa solids is essential, but I often get these from the budget supermarkets: certainly as good quality as the brand names, but much cheaper.
Finishing them off!
You can roll the truffles in either good quality cocoa powder or crushed chocolate flakes, but I like to dip these truffle in melted or ideally tempered dark chocolate and finish with a sprinkling of finely grated orange zest.
These truffles should be kept in the fridge, where they will sit happily for 2 weeks.
Recipe: spiced chocolate orange truffles – makes about 30
- 100ml double cream or single cream
- 150g good quality dark chocolate (around 70% cocoa solids)
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau, optional, or the juice of 1 orange
- 5 drops of Fiori di Sicilia
- 200g dark chocolate, melted or tempered
- finely grated orange zest
(1) Heat the cream, most of the orange zest and the Fiori di Sicilia in a small pan until the cream just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave for 2-3 minutes to cool slightly.
NB: if the cream is too hot, it can cause the chocolate so split and go grainy. If it does split, simply beat in a splash of cold cream and it will come back together.
(2) Put the chocolate into a small bowl and pour the cream over it. Give the bowl a gentle shake to help the cream settle and leave for about 5 minutes to allow the hot cream to slowly melt the chocolate.
(3) Stir well to give a smooth, shiny ganache and stir in the Cointreau or orange juice.
(4) Chill for several hours or overnight until set and then take a teaspoon or so at a time, roll lightly into balls and then dip in the melted chocolate: a cocktail stick makes life easier: just lift out of the bowl of chocolate, allowing the excess to drp back into the bowl, and place on prachment. If there is a hole where the cocktail stick was, dab a little melted chocolate over.
(5) Sprinkle over a little orange zest and leave to set. Keep chilled.