I love a dish that uses up whatever there is to hand and this delicious no-waste dish is cooked in the oven with hardly any effort.
Using veg peelings (potato, sweet potato, carrot, beetroot, aubergine…..basically whatever you’ve got!), this is not only a great snack, it is great scattered over salads or served with many other dishes.
Whenever I have vegetable peelings I vary between using them in the compost for my allotment and cooking with them. Now I don’t see using them in the compost as waste as they serve as an invaluable function in itself….
….but eating very crisp, lightly spiced and salty peelings is an immediate joy!
A delicious spice mix
For the simple spice blend in the recipe, it is worth making more than you need as it will keep in an airtight jar for many months. It is gorgeous sprinkled over vegetables as they cook or sprinkling over nuts for spices nuts, but the rough proportions are in the recipe below.
If you have other spices such as onion powder or garlic powder use those as well – about 1 teaspoon of each. A teaspoon or so of chilli powder is great if you want an added kick.
You can just scatter over salt and pepper but this spice mix really enhances things somewhat. I sometimes instead use garam masala or harissa powder, with an added touch of sugar and salt.
If you want to make some, my recipe for harissa powder is in my tagine recipe here
Recipe: paprika-spiced vegetable peel crisps
- vegetable peelings
- vegetable oil (1-2 tablespoons or just enough to lightly coat the peelings)
- a little sea salt
Quick spice blend:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
(1) Preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
(2) Mix the vegetable peelings with salt and the oil on a baking sheet to coat the peelings. Spread them out and bake for about 15-20 minutes, giving them a loose turn after about 10 minutes.
NB: keep an eye on them after 15 minutes to check they do not burn.
(3) Mix the spice blend ingredients together.
(4) Scoop the baked peelings into a large bowl while still hot and toss with a teaspoon or so of the spice blend: enough to lightly coat. Leave to cool and serve.
6 thoughts on “Paprika-spiced vegetable peel crisps”
I’m going to stop peeling vegetables for sure!! These sound really fun. :))
Oh they are fun and so tasty too
Hmmm. Food for thought, that’s for sure. 😋🌿
oh that’s funny. hubby and i were just talking about these the other day. potato peels used to be all the rage some years ago, then somehow they turned into wedges. it was never the same! these are delicious.
Thank you. They are too moreish!