If you ever have left-over cake (“why would I?”, you might ask!), or have cake that is starting to go stale, these very easy bites will use up the cake for a delicious sweet treat.
These are essentially cake croutons, made by simply drying them at a low temperature in the oven very gently for a couple of hours to go very crisp.
The chocolate is optional, but I quite like the combined flavour of ginger and chocolate here….they take me to a very happy place of total comfort!
These bites are perfect served with tea or coffee at any time of the day, or even just to snack on whenever the mood takes you! They also make nice edible gifts.
They are also great sprinkled over ice cream, either as they are or lightly crushed. I have even been known to add a few to a crumble mixture
Any cake will do!
I have used some gingerbread cake that I had left, but any cake will work brilliantly here. Dare I say, it is actually worth making a batch of cake specifically to make these bites!
The recipe for my very simple gingerbread cake, using a mixture that is made up in seconds, is here.
These crispy cake bites will keep well for a several weeks in an airtight container.
Recipe: crispy gingerbread cake bites
- any cake, cut into smallish cubes (my gingerbread cake recipe is here.)
- a couple of tablespoons of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- melted chocolate of choice (dark is particularly good with the ginger flavours)
(1) Preheat the oven to 120C(fan). Mix the cake cubes with the sugar and cinnamon to give a light dusting over the cake. Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof, leaving a little space between them.
(2) Bake for about 2 hours, checking after about an hour and a half that they are not going too dark (they shouldn’t at this temperature). You can sprinkle over any excess sugar part-way through if you want.
(3) Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray, during which time they will crispen up. Dip in melted chocolate either partially or fully and leave to set.
2 thoughts on “Crispy gingerbread cake bites”
Adorable! I think I’ll take ten… 😉
what a creative recipe! Really lovely…
Thank you. Consider a batch bagged up and on its way 😀